Sunday, October 7, 2012

26th Bobby Bell 5 Mile Road Race

Bobby Bell 5 Miler
Today was the Bobby Bell 5 mile road race. It went well with a few hiccups (on my part). I THOUGHT the start was at 10:30AM so I started stretching/sprinting at 10:00. I later found out the start would be at 11:00 so I went home for some Dr. Pepper and pretzel rods. The start was at the Lasting Room restaurant/bar about 100 yards from my front door. Convenient right? So the Goal was a 32:10 finish. I stuck with the goal time even after noting the vertical profile (conveniently posted above the urinal in the Lasting Room). The course has a fair amount of hills but nothing I Was worried about, except the LONG steep downhill at the beginning of mile 4.
The Legendary Rick Bayko referred to this as my "Game Face"...I agree
 
The race started on time which is always nice, (especially when there are banks along the route telling you the time).  The course followed Washington st. to the RT 495 intersection and returned on rt 97, turned onto Essex st. and onto Washington (right in front of my home). At the gun I tried to stick with the (eventual) winners and did for the first two miles or so. 
The start was just under the MBTA Haverhill Station.

At or around the halfway mark My "Ultra Beast Left Knee" started to swell and hurt pretty bad. Around Mile three I thought about asking one of Haverhill's finest to give me a ride of shame but I figured I was still holding the planned 6:30 pace. Along the steep downhill Rick from Yankee Runner was calling out split times. This was good for me reminding me that the pain will be over in just a few minutes. The final stretch down Washington FELT fast but I'm pretty sure it was to the tune of 6:50mi.
Video of Finish

With the pain of the last half of the race I was not expecting to come very close to the goal 32:10 but was pleasantly surprised when I crossed the mat at 32:45. After crossing the mat I promptly found a place where i can vomit and not be seen. I thought around the corner near the railroad bridge would be my best bet. Well, that's where the race director was sending everyone for the after party...So I had a few witnesses to the vomit.
No more tummy contents.
 
So I was 10th place overall (before gender grading 14th after). I guess this was good enough for a few awards. Alisha and I waited at the after party and enjoyed free food and booze (Bud Light and pesto Ziti).
Feelin' better!
Free Booze!
The gender based scoring is a really cool concept and it allows women to be awarded for their talents as they deserve. The longer Ultra distances (over 26.2 miles) women tend to finish stronger, my theory is they have a much stronger pain tolerance and long distance running is all about endurance. To me...Endurance= how long you can handle pain, Girls 1 Boys 0. Needless to say I am happy to relinquish a few places to some badass women!
 
 
I have never won anything aside from "finisher awards" but today was a lucky day and i managed to place in two categories. Haverhill residents (3rd) and 20-39 year old opens (9th). While this is not a podium finish or anything like that I was pretty pumped to get a couple cool pint glasses!

AWARDS!
The race was a great experience and I had an awesome time! I'm feeling a little bit nervous about Bay State since as we speak my left knee is still pretty swollen. I will start but don't want to jeopardize my health. I am hoping that the slower marathon pace will help keeping the pain at bay. Until then...


4 comments:

  1. You rocked this race and have some sweeeeeet glasses to prove it! I love you baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the Bobby Bell, but know all about your pain...albeit race or knee related. I've run it too many times to count...even walked that steep downhill one year....man, I got passed by a lot of people, but didn't matter...I knew the post-race would be great!! I'm happy to see the times I posted in my younger years would have put me up front:). I moved to Texas last year, and miss being amongst the "well-oiled" running community in New England. I'm coming-up to attempt Baystate as well...I have unfinished business with the "Boulevaaaaad"...I pulled a hammy in the half a few years back, and totally ruined me for Boston. I've never actually run the marathon course per say....though I did help pace someone to a BQ finish. Don't worry about your knee too much...I finished Vermont and Chicago with a swollen knee...nothing IBU can't handle...short term...lol. Hope to see you there...at least for a pint or 2 or 3...post-tace. I'll either be crying in my beer or celebrating a good finish....either way, you'll find me at the brewery...Guinness in hand.
    See you then...Tom in Tx (Lifetime member of the Andover Striders:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd, Hopefully it holds up. I'm going to squeeze in a shorter long run hopefully tomorrow at a snails pace and thats about it to keep the knee happy. Hope to run into you in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete