Thursday, August 30, 2012

Days Off are for the WEAK!

So I took a day off today. I can't remember my last day of inactivity but I feel good about a little rest. I spent time with my Four legged friend Brodie. I'M convinced he is a Jack Russel/Italian Greyhound mix with only the best of each side. I slept late 0830 (8:30AM), and played with the pooch for a while. Although today was a day "off" from physical preparation I still did a little shopping for the "drop bag" which will be my ONLY acceptable aid station during the Ultra Beast. I also picked up a nice pack for one of my last workouts prior to the Ultra Beast (Mt. Washington Day Hike).
Brodie's facebook...yeah it is real...

Drop Bag
So below is a list of items (not all inclusive since I have a 20 ga. tote to fill up...and i will) that i will leave at the Start/Finish line (halfway for us Ultra Beasters)
-Camelbak Octane XCT (modified for 2 bladders)
-NUUN electrolyte Tabs
-Pedialyte (orange for smaller bladder)
-Ibuprofen (unflavored)
-Mint Chocalate Chip CLIF bars (X4)
-Clif Shot Blocks (X12 servings)
-Spring water (2 gallons to refill larger bladder)
-4 GU pouches (theseare a last resort sugarbomb Espresso love/vanilla bean)
-First Aid kit (Blood happens...be prepared)
-headlamp 9it was hintedthat this would be required gear otherwise glow sticks)
-A change of clothes and a "real" meal will be added but I don't intend to add them until later for obvious reasons.
So far.....

Training
I have been pretty satisfied with the training I have been able to accomplish. I am lucky to get a few days off at a time so I CAN dedicate a half day to training. Three weeks in a row I have been able to run the CRUCIBLE course 20.xx miles on trails that have no shortage of hills. The fact i havebeen able to run a single 20 mile workout on back to back to back weeks may explain my boisterous confidence on facebook and in general. the Hal Higdon marathon plan (one of the most followed marathon training plans I know of) requires athletes to reach this 20 mile distance only one time about 2-3 weeks prior to a ROAD marathon. In the spirit of being "SPARTAN" I will use this singular workout as my meat and potatoes until the Ultra Beast. During these trail runs I have noticed that mean people don't hang out on marked trails. I am yet to run/walk past another person in the woods without some sort of friendly salutations being exchanged. This is not the norm while ducking cars in downtown Haverhill and dodging mirrors (most of the time). 20 miles ion a training setting usually takes 3-3:20 to complete (this is a huge block of time and I understand that people with "grown up" jobs and other obligations usually can't afford). I am hesitant to take Brodie since he is a "street pup" meaning he will not pass up any; trash, food, pitbulls(prevelant around these parts) or curious smells, therefore making him "difficult" to walk/jog/run with. His company would be much appreciated when I encounter SNAKES (my arch nemesis) I know...Snakes are not that bad...but they scare ME! This most recent adventure I decided to take my IPOD...While I don't listen to music while working out (exception: books on tape), I brought it to take afew pictures of the trail I am most fond of as of recently.


Kenoza lake
 
Turn Around Point I circle this bench three times in a 20mi run.
Turning right at this ridge trail climbs about 30' but will avoid knee deep puddles after A rainy day.
 
There is a spike in elevation (60-70' est) this is the top looking down, the photo may not do it justice but I call it "Tower of Tears" in three laps you climb it six times.
 
"The Witches Staircase" It's funny how nature can make something seemingly man made.
 
Days off..
While days off are important I feel lazy on days like today (10 pullups and couch commando). The word "overtraining" comes to mind every time I head out feeling tired/sore/achey from the previous day. By no means do I think that pushing through pain is a good/safe idea, however knowing your body is very important if you plan on going beyond that point. While I have much to learn on that topic I feel like I can at the very least avoid disaster (in the form of injury).  The Hard and seemingly endless training has been agreat confidence booster. I will not win the Ultra Beast...But I WILL finish and that is a victory in my book!
 
Mount Washington
Next weekend a few friends and I will be tackling the highest peak in the Northeast. This will be a walk/hike but I will be counting it as valuable training. It's hard to admit as an endurance runner that i WILL be walking a lot (if not MOST) of the Ultra Beast, therefore a hike with a moderately heavy pack over 6,000' will be beneficial. Until next time! 
 
(spell check didnt work for me tonight...go ahead and correct my spelling/grammar...)


No comments:

Post a Comment